Why join the workshop?
Parenting and education have changed dramatically through the years with the integration of gadgets and high-speed internet into the daily lives of our youth. We now live in a fast-paced, instant gratification world, where solutions to almost every problem can be found on the internet and bored children are “soothed” by hours of gadget use. Yet despite the advancements in science and technology, we observe higher incidences of depression and anxiety, poorer social skills and resiliency, and the rarity of common courtesy and old-fashioned values. There are less face-to-face and heart-to-heart conversations (which our young people today often find awkward) and higher levels of impatience and restlessness. When stressed, our young people can easily turn inward into their own worlds or into their social media worlds.
Mindfulness is a powerful tool we can teach our young people to thwart these tendencies. It is an exercise of consciously paying attention to the present moment: knowing what we’re doing while we’re doing it. This workshop will engage teenagers with fun, interactive, and age-appropriate activities grounded on breathing exercises, meditation, and guided discussions. Aside from teaching them practical techniques for relaxation, focus, and coping with stress, it also promises to be a safe, unintimidating space for them to be more aware and mindful of their emotions.
At the end of this highly interactive workshop, participants will be able to:
- Practice simple techniques in focusing on the present to help improve:
- Focus and attention
- Temper and emotions regulation
- Identify their feelings and current state of emotions; relieve pent-up emotions through meaningful interactions with their facilitator and peers
Who Should Attend:
We invite the youth to disconnect momentarily from their digital worlds to reach in deep within their true, authentic selves, so that they may reconnect to what are truly important in the present and live out an attitude of gratitude.
More specifically, this workshop will cover the following topics:
1. Overview of Mindfulness
• Mindfulness and how it affects the brain
• Mindfulness and applications among youth/ in schools?
2. Synchronizing the Mind and the Body as Means to Handle Daily Stresses
• Getting into our ‘mindful bodies’
• Practicing child-friendly mindfulness techniques (breathing and listening techniques)
• Applying mindfulness techniques in daily activities and choosing how to respond and react/not react in stressful situations?
3. Paying Attention to our Current State of Emotions
• Identifying sources of stress: How strong emotions can distract and/or affect decision-making
• Practicing meditation (body scan and contemplation)
• Journaling and talk therapy?
4. Expressing Gratitude as an offshoot of Mindfulness
*Program fee is PHP 5,900 + VAT
May 18 - 18, 2019